Monday, September 29, 2008

Off to Istanbul. And, Great Moments in NBA History

Jenna and I leave this afternoon for a trip to Istanbul! This week is a holiday here, Eid el-Fitr, which marks the end of the month of Ramadan. I should be back up on the blog in about a week.

I just got back from the gym where I have a free three-day pass. I got on the treadmill and turned on the tv and saw the Sixers playing! What is going on here? I know it is not in season, nor have exhibitions begun. Then I see Derrick Coleman. And Jerry Stackhouse. And Clarence Weatherspoon. And they are playing the Milwaukee Bucks. Vin Baker. Andrew Lang. Ray Allen looks younger than Jesus Shuttlesworth. I am searching for Iverson.... What is going on here? Why would this of all games be on tv? In Cario? Now? There was a promotional spot; it is apparently part of “Great Moments in NBA History,” which otherwise looked like a Michael Jordan highlight reel. I understand why people would want to watch Jordan’s big games. But a Sixers-Bucks game from the 1990s. (I was trying to date the game: Johnny Davis was the Sixers coach, so that narrows it down. Then I see an advertisement on the screen for a Tyson-Holyfield fight.) I don’t recall the Sixers and Bucks ever meeting in the playoffs in the 1990s. Neither team was very good at the time. And this game was not especially close or otherwise interesting.

All of this ran through my head in less than 5 minutes, and then I got my answer. “Allen Iverson Makes His NBA Debut” appeared on screen. He must have been on the bench when I turned on the game. For the record, he lit up the Bucks for 30 points in a Sixers loss.

No comments: