Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Day of School

I know that people have often commented on the inappropriateness of many student email address monikers. In my first-year humanities class, which met for the first time yesterday, of the 21 students, I had:
  1. [name]xxx [at]
  2. [name]69 [at]
  3. therockandrollmaster [at]
  4. Lolita [at]
As much as I enjoy laughing at (and blogging about) the email list on the first day of class, I think I owe it to the students, mostly 16 and 17 year olds, to strongly encourage them to have an email address (preferably their official university account) that they use for professional purposes, including my class.

It is not all bad. The Lolita reference is kind of exciting if I presume the student is interested in Vladimir Nabokov. After all, this is a sort of literature class.

No comments: