Friday, May 22, 2009

A picture is worth a million words

Yesterday was the last day of class for the semester. I have been working today grading student essays. For my “Experiencing Creativity” class, I am reading essays from students about family photographs. We had read some Susan Sontag, and discussed memory, and they are supposed to be composing analyses of personal pictures. Overall the work is pretty good. Three of the first four essays I read noted: “A picture is worth a thousand words.” After those, I started expecting it (and began imagining this blog post). In the end, though, the total was 4 out of 13 with two of those going the extra mile and using it as their title. Also one wrote, “A picture is worth a million words,” and then in pen crossed out million and handwrote thousand. I guess she couldn’t come up with that many words and had to downgrade.

No comments: